Give your writing the time and space it deserves, with Arvon’s new, dedicated Writers Retreat.
The Clockhouse sits alongside our writing centre at The Hurst in the Shropshire Hills. Newly refurbished, it now has four apartments for writers, each with bedroom, study-lounge and bathroom. All food is provided.
Everything in The Clockhouse has been planned to help you focus on your writing, away from day-to-day distractions. Walk in the beautiful landscape, share your triumphs and challenges with fellow writers over dinner together, or just sit at your desk and write. Whether you’re starting something new, or pushing on to finish something, make time to free your imagination.
Choose from a six-day Writers Retreat (Tuesday to Monday) or a four-day Writers Retreat (Thursday to Monday).
If you wish, you can book multiple retreats together for a longer time, and get to stay on the Monday between retreats for free (book by phone only). If you wish to book as a group of up to four writers, please telephone The Hurst.
- four comfortable self-contained apartments, each with bedroom, study-lounge and en-suite bathroom
- cosy shared lounge with log-burner
- shared kitchen-diner with all food provided—help yourself to fresh local produce and home-cooked meals
- 26 acres of woodland, a spring-fed lake and inspiring views of the Shropshire Hills
- easy walks to the local village with pub and shop
6 day retreats (Tues – Mon)
– Jan-March & Oct-Dec £600 per person
– Apr-Sep £650 per person
4 day retreats (Thurs – Mon)
– Jan-March & Oct-Dec £450 per person
– Apr-Sep £500 per person
This retreat has been quite special, enabling me to write more in the first three days than I had in the previous three months. The greatest gifts for a writer are time and space to write. The Clockhouse gave both in abundance.
I attended the retreat to take writing seriously and I left feeling validated as a writer. Arvon know what they are doing. I thoroughly recommend the experience to anyone at any stage of their writing life.
Read more testimonials here.
Do contact us for more information, or to book by phone: email@example.com / 01588 640 658
You can also book online below:
|Length||Dates||Cost per person|
|6 days||Tue 02 - Mon 08 May 2017||£650||Book|
|6 days||Tue 09 - Mon 15 May 2017||£650||Book|
|6 days||Tue 16 - Mon 22 May 2017||£650||Book|
|4 days||Thu 25 - Mon 29 May 2017||£500|| Sold Out |
|6 days||Tue 30 May - Mon 05 Jun 2017||£650|| Sold Out |
|6 days||Tue 06 - Mon 12 Jun 2017||£650|| Sold Out |
|6 days||Tue 13 - Mon 19 Jun 2017||£650||Book|
|6 days||Tue 20 - Mon 26 Jun 2017||£650||Book|
|4 days||Thu 29 Jun - Mon 03 Jul 2017||£500|| Sold Out |
|4 days||Thu 13 - Mon 17 Jul 2017||£500|| Sold Out |
|6 days||Tue 18 - Mon 24 Jul 2017||£650||Book|
|6 days||Tue 25 - Mon 31 Jul 2017||£650|| Sold Out |
|6 days||Tue 01 - Mon 07 Aug 2017||£650|| Sold Out |
|6 days||Tue 08 - Mon 14 Aug 2017||£650||Book|
|6 days||Tue 15 - Mon 21 Aug 2017||£650||Book|
|4 days||Thu 24 - Mon 28 Aug 2017||£500||Book|
|6 days||Tue 29 Aug - Mon 04 Sep 2017||£650||Book|
|6 days||Tue 05 - Mon 11 Sep 2017||£650||Book|
|6 days||Tue 12 - Mon 18 Sep 2017||£650||Book|
|6 days||Tue 26 Sep - Mon 02 Oct 2017||£650||Book|
|6 days||Tue 03 - Mon 09 Oct 2017||£600||Book|
|6 days||Tue 17 - Mon 23 Oct 2017||£600||Book|
|4 days||Thu 26 - Mon 30 Oct 2017||£450|| Sold Out |
|6 days||Tue 31 Oct - Mon 06 Nov 2017||£600||Book|
|6 days||Tue 07 - Mon 13 Nov 2017||£600||Book|
|6 days||Tue 21 - Mon 27 Nov 2017||£600||Book|
|6 days||Tue 28 Nov - Mon 04 Dec 2017||£600||Book|
- Writers Retreat weeks at The Clockhouse are Tuesday (noon) to Monday (noon)
Long-weekend Writers Retreats are Thursday (noon) to Monday (noon)
- The retreat fee includes full board accommodation (not including alcohol).
- To secure your place, you will need to pay a deposit of £150 at the time of booking
- You are welcome to pay in instalments via our online booking system.
- The full balance of your retreat fee is payable no later than six weeks before the retreat start.
- Please note that pets are not permitted.
- We do not currently offer grants for Writers Retreats
- No guests or visitors are permitted within The Clockhouse during your stay.
- Parking is available at The Hurst. For travel details to The Hurst see here.
- The building is wheelchair-accessible throughout, with level access to all floors and a lift. There is also one apartment with a height-adjustable desk and fully accessible wet-room.
- Further practical details here.