Our writing centres have a relaxed, friendly and informal atmosphere – they’re not hotels, they are your home for a week. You’ll be with a group of up to 15 other writers, and working with two tutors.
The courses run from Monday afternoon to Saturday morning. Most Arvon weeks follow this structure (although retreats are a little different):
• Each morning the tutors lead workshops to help you explore writing ideas, forms and techniques. (Tutored retreats do not have workshops.)
• Afternoons are your time for writing and one-to-one tutorials. You’ll have two tutorials (at least 20 minutes long), one with each tutor during the week, to consider your writing in depth.
• On Monday participants arrive between 4.30pm and 6pm. After dinner the tutors give a general introduction to the week.
• On Tuesday evening the tutors will read from their own work.
• On Wednesday the guest speaker joins the group for an evening reading or talk, with questions and answers afterwards.
• On Friday evening the group gets together to share and celebrate their work.
• The week comes to a close on Saturday morning, after breakfast.
The tutors went further than teaching and being helpful; they were interested in my writing and believed in me. That has given me so much confidence for the future.