Give your writing the time and space it deserves, with Arvon’s new, dedicated Writers Retreat.
The Clockhouse sits alongside our writing centre at The Hurst in the Shropshire Hills. Newly refurbished, it now has four apartments for writers, each with bedroom, study-lounge and bathroom. All food is provided.
Everything in The Clockhouse has been planned to help you focus on your writing, away from day-to-day distractions. Walk in the beautiful landscape, share your triumphs and challenges with fellow writers over dinner together, or just sit at your desk and write. Whether you’re starting something new, or pushing on to finish something, make time to free your imagination.
Choose from a six-day Writers Retreat (Tuesday to Monday) or a four-day Writers Retreat (Thursday to Monday).
If you wish, you can book multiple retreats together for a longer time, and get to stay on the Monday between retreats for free (book by phone only). If you wish to book as a group of up to four writers, please telephone The Hurst.
- four comfortable self-contained apartments, each with bedroom, study-lounge and en-suite bathroom
- cosy shared lounge with log-burner
- shared kitchen-diner with all food provided—help yourself to fresh local produce and home-cooked meals
- 26 acres of woodland, a spring-fed lake and inspiring views of the Shropshire Hills
- easy walks to the local village with pub and shop
1st Floor – Mary Webb and Wilfred Owen
We offer these apartments at an increased fee due to their exceptional views of the Clun Valley to the east, and the high level of natural light in the studies and bedrooms.
Mary Webb: Concessions available for writers who require an accessible bathroom due to a disability – please contact email@example.com / 01588 640 658
2nd Floor – A E Housman and Bruce Chatwin
Characterful accommodation with vaulted ceilings and timber beams. Views in these apartments are more limited.
6-day retreats (Tues – Mon)
– 1st floor apartment £720
– 2nd floor apartment £685
4-day retreats (Thurs – Mon)
– 1st floor apartment £415
– 2nd floor apartment £395
Concessions available for writers who are registered disabled – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01588 640 658
This retreat has been quite special, enabling me to write more in the first three days than I had in the previous three months. The greatest gifts for a writer are time and space to write. The Clockhouse gave both in abundance.
I attended the retreat to take writing seriously and I left feeling validated as a writer. Arvon know what they are doing. I thoroughly recommend the experience to anyone at any stage of their writing life.
I had a hugely productive stay at the Clockhouse during which hours-long blocks of writing in front of a stunning view were delightfully broken up by walks and runs through the surrounding woods and therapeutic bursts of cookery in the cosy and very well supplied kitchen. It was only the second writing retreat of my career but was so useful that it convinced me booking them must become a regular thing for me. So thank you, Arvon, for the breakthrough!
Read more testimonials here.
Do contact us for more information, or to book by phone: email@example.com / 01588 640 658
You can also book online below:
Mary Webb apartment
Fully accessible, with wet room and lift access
Concessions available for writers who require an accessible bathroom due to a disability – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org / 01588 640 658
Wilfred Owen apartment
A E Housman apartment
Bruce Chatwin apartment
- Writers Retreat weeks at The Clockhouse are Tuesday (noon) to Monday (noon).
Long-weekend Writers Retreats are Thursday (noon) to Monday (noon)
- The retreat fee includes full board accommodation (not including alcohol).
- To secure your place, you will need to pay a deposit of £150 at the time of booking.
- You are welcome to pay in instalments via our online booking system.
- The full balance of your retreat fee is payable no later than six weeks before the retreat starts.
- Please note that pets are not permitted.
- We do not currently offer grants for Writers Retreats.
- No guests or visitors are permitted within The Clockhouse during your stay.
- Parking is available at The Hurst. For travel details to The Hurst see here.
- The building is wheelchair-accessible throughout, with level access to all floors and a lift. There is also one apartment with a height-adjustable desk and fully accessible wet-room.
- Further practical details here.